The entire chapter of John 17 is a very compassionate prayer of Jesus. Please read and consider the following question.
1) Who is Jesus praying this loving prayer to? (EZ one)
2) Besides praying for Himself, who else is Jesus praying for? Hint: there are two different groups and the first group is with Him during this prayer; see John 16:29. Also see verses 17:6-19. For the 2nd group see verses 2, 3, 20-26.
3) Who is Jesus speaking of at the end of verse 12, "the son of perdition" who perished?
4) How do we obtain Eternal Life? Verses 3, 6-8; and many other Bible verses: Rom. 10: 9-10 & Eph. 2: 4-10.
5) Jesus prays that God the Father will glorify Him, verses 1, 5, 24. How do you think God glorified Jesus? Eph. 2: 4-10.
6) Where was Jesus before He came to Earth? verses 5, 8, 16, 18, 24 & John 1: 1-5, 9-18.
7) Who sent Jesus to Earth and why was He sent? There are several reasons listed in this chapter, just about every verse has a reason and a purpose that Jesus fulfilled.
8) Who gave us believers to Jesus? verses 2, 6, 9, 24
9) There are at least 10 things that Jesus asks God to do for His followers. See how many you can find. Verses 11-26
10) What does Jesus mean when He said that His followers "are in the world but not of the world"? verses 14-18
11) What does it mean to be "sanctified"? verses 17-19 ( use your commentary guide or a dictionary)
12) How and when are we going to be with Jesus, where He is, and to see His glory? verses 22-24. Also to get really excited about our eternal future with Jesus, meditate on Eph. 1:16-23 & 2:5-7; 1 Thess. 4:14-18 & Rev. ch. 21 & 22